Author Topic: Magnet method with thimble  (Read 100 times)

InactiveX

• View Profile
Magnet method with thimble
« on: July 24, 2017, 11:39:52 AM »
Here's an idea I came up with for using a magnet with the Gecho.

I use one of those things that cashiers have in order to count money - it looks like a thimble and is made of rubber. I place a disc shaped magnet (I have some nice strong ones) into the end of the thimble, and use the thimble on my index fingertip.

By using a rubber thimble, it's all electrically non-conductive, and therefore kind to the Gecho. The magnet can be flipped easily to reverse the field.

Just waiting now for some channels to use the magnet sensor! The magnet calibration test shows a good range is possible with my thimble and magnet method.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:43:19 AM by InactiveX »

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Magnet method with thimble
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »
Neat idea, definitely much safer than using a possibly conductive plain magnet (or ring), mainly if you don't want to have the acrylic plate installed all the time.

How about two thimbles, with magnets fitted in reverse polarity, and maybe having them on index and middle fingers? Then you could easily select both "white" and "black" keys with one hand.

The channel 31 is only one that can be somewhat played with this so far (a quantized "theremin" effect). I'd like to get it closer to a real theremin sound some day :)

InactiveX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 05:24:35 PM »
I'd thought of that - I've got another thimble on its way to me!

I think I'll be able to get a nice vibrato with the magnets on my fingertips.

I'll try channel 31 now.

vandb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
Hi seems to be a great idea. Can you tell me the diameter of the thimble you use and the size of the magnets?

Thanks

InactiveX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 08:54:14 PM »
Yeah. The thimbles are marked as "No1" and the inside of the base is 15mm. I got them from eBay.

The magnets are 10mm across and 1mm thick. I got a pack of twenty a while back from www.first4magnets.com

I've got two thimbles now and using two of them with magnets in opposite polarity seems to work really well, with the lights on channel 324 bobbing up and down in good correlation with the positioning of the magnets.

vandb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »
Hi just found an office supply shop today that stored thimbles. They only had size 0, but that works ok for me. I had one small disc shaped magnet lying around and it works like a charm in channel 31.

InactiveX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
Good one vandb. Glad it works for you.

I found a couple of Finger Frights in a box at the weekend. I might try using those. It would make a great audience talking point during performances with the Gecho!

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 12:03:04 AM »
These will require a completely new haunting sounds to be implemented! :)