Author Topic: Creating new songs on V2  (Read 4279 times)

pwquig

• View Profile
Creating new songs on V2
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:28:01 PM »
Hello, just received my V2 a few weeks ago and I've been having so much fun discovering it's capability.  I've read a few things here and there about programming chord and melody sequences via midi, but I can't for the life of me find a complete description or tutorial on how to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Creating new songs on V2
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 10:51:52 AM »
Hi and welcome! Sorry, haven't had chance to add detailed info about individual channels (there are still many people who have been waiting for their unit for months so I want to sort these orders first, then get back to documenting / expanding the firmware). I hope that until then, it is enough fun exploring what's there :)

Channels 111-114 are for programming custom progressions.

111 will capture notes from MIDI keyboard, before it's explained online in detail - it's very simple: every triplet is stored as a chord; you can play them in sequence instead of pressing whole chord at once, to define note order - this is useful later for example when the notes are transmitted back by MIDI out while playing, it usually affects the other machine's arpeggiator sequence. If I remember correctly, you need to press SET when finished and then RST and then run 21-24 which are like 1-4 but will use the chords you entered.

113 will copy the captured progression from "temp space" to the persistent memory under an arbitrary number (it waits for you to key it in using buttons 1-4).

112 will load previously saved progression back to "temp space", and 114 deletes the progression (with these you need to key in the song number the same way as with 113).

In old model there was a way to program songs only with buttons, it will appear in future updates - not everything from v1 is yet ported over.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 10:53:49 AM by mario »

pwquig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:11:10 PM »
Thank you so much! Can't wait to try it out tonight :)

yewtreemagic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »
Excellent - thanks for that info Mario.

Looking forward to you clearing the backlog of orders so you have time to have a rest and then update the v2 manual/firmware  ;)

In the meantime I'm patiently updating your initial manual with all these new details, as there are lots of things that aren't obvious to new users.

For instance, it wasn't until I watched one of your YouTube videos for v1 that I discovered the sensor functions for BASIC CHANNELS are:

S1 Increase Noise, S2 Attenuate Noise, S3 Increase Resonance, S4 Arpeggiator

Martin

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 02:47:24 PM »
Hi Martin,

When it comes to shipping queue, we can almost see the end of the tunnel :)

Expanding on documentation will require digging through the entire code base, testing and fixing minor bugs - it will take a couple days that I just don't have right now.

Please note that most of the videos with v1 model are not entirely relevant anymore, for example S1 now usually changes delay length and only S2 affects level of white noise or background sample (where the range has been slightly adjusted). Since you can lock any of these sensors at a certain level I thought having both S1 and S2 allocated for just this function would be too much, and possibility to change delay length dynamically (instead of just locking it to a particular value by button 3) is a lot more fun.

Perhaps the sensors often don't even need any explanation as it's easy to find out what they do, but the buttons are whole other thing as they can have multiple functions depending on short press, long press, or a combination with another button... that will be the first thing updated in the manual when I get chance.

Pressing things at random will surely yield interesting results, there is no danger in it apart from eventual messing up the settings completely, where 4321-SET comes handy :)

Cheers,
Mario

messier31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 02:55:39 AM »
Received mine a few weeks ago and loving it!  I don't have a v1 so this is my first experience with Gecho.  Some of your early YouTube videos show creating chords with a ring (guessing a magnet?).  Is this functionality in v2?

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 07:02:55 AM »
Very happy to hear that!

Well, the magnetic ring turned out to not be very practical; one of the early v2 prototypes had the sensor but then I dropped it in favour of the accelerometer. There is still a magnetic sensor internal to the ESP32 chip (CPU) but from what I've read it is not very precise - not sure if that means it would still be usable with a magnetic ring or would require a lot stronger magnet. However thanks to the ESP32 architecture, where internal peripherals often share signals that are also used externally, this would probably mean that while the sensor is used, something else that also uses the ADC must be disabled - for example the IR sensors. Accelerometer, on the other hand, is fully independent and can be used in combination with sensors - although the current firmware does not yet have a channel that uses them both at the same time.

I believe creating chords in similar way how it was done with the ring would be easier to do with accelerometer, also changing pitch by rotating the device sounds like fun, added to my TODO list :)