Author Topic: Stylophone?  (Read 64 times)

Tippytaps

• View Profile
Stylophone?
« on: November 22, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
I think it would be brilliant if there was a way to use an aux cable as a stylus to pick out notes on the faceplate scale! Or maybe even use it like a stylophone. Maybe use buttons to shift up and down a scale, but use the aux cable tip to play the notes.

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stylophone?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »
That's a great idea! However instead of a metal stylus, it would be better to have something softer so the active pads will not get scratched over time, e.g. a conductive rubber tip, or capacitive sensors that react to a common touch-screen type stylus. Not something that can be done with the current hardware though. Another problem is how to make it work with acrylic front plate too.

By the way one of the v1 prototypes had for this reason extra pad next to every "keyboard" LED, as you can see here at 0:39 but I thought it was not very elegant, also ESD was a concern as these lines went directly to GPIO ports.

Now you made me think about a possible method that will work with any front plate: a photo-sensitive diode connected to some of the input jacks, like a classic "light pen" used on CRT screens, it could scan fast-blinking LEDs and determine its position from there.