Author Topic: patch 34 - missing parameters in "options enabled" mode  (Read 972 times)

jluc

• View Profile
patch 34 - missing parameters in "options enabled" mode
« on: January 10, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
hello

i explore gecho more and more, i realize how this project is really innovative, creative, powerful, amazing ! ;D

today i connect gecho with my computer under Linux (xubuntu 14.04 with gtkterm) on serial port and watch on debug console.
It works fine !
I explore patch 34 (MI Clouds). I constat the parameters are not scrolled in the same order as in the configuration file (with B1&B2):

pos-size-pitch-density-texture-fb-rev-spread

drywet and postgain parameters are missing

is there a possibility to save the modifications? otherwise is it considered next?

thanks for your creativity !
jluc

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: patch 34 - missing parameters in "options enabled" mode
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 01:57:59 PM »
Hi, thank you for your kind words!

Indeed Clouds deserves more attention - and that's true for pretty much every 3rd party sound engine that has been added to Gecho.

As the source codes are freely available, I believe at some point this will be added, if not by me then hopefully by someone else. I've left it at porting over and defining those 5 patches, but it has a lot bigger potential - parameters should be tied to sensors and/or accelerometer, there should be patch randomizer and possiblity to store it to persistent memory (similar to as in Dekrispator).

The dry/wet and postgain were left out, I thought they are not that important given how Gecho primarily uses mics and the input & output levels can be configured globally, but looking at the related code now, it seems the postgain is applied before output limiter, so it is useful:
Code: [Select]
  ParameterInterpolator dry_wet_mod(&dry_wet_, parameters_.dry_wet, size);
  for (size_t i = 0; i < size; ++i) {
    float dry_wet = dry_wet_mod.Next();
    float fade_in = Interpolate(lut_xfade_in, dry_wet, 16.0f);
    float fade_out = Interpolate(lut_xfade_out, dry_wet, 16.0f);
    float l = static_cast<float>(input[i].l) / 32768.0f * fade_out;
    float r = static_cast<float>(input[i].r) / 32768.0f * fade_out;
    l += out_[i].l * parameters_.post_gain * fade_in;
    r += out_[i].r * parameters_.post_gain * fade_in;
    output[i].l = SoftConvert(l);
    output[i].r = SoftConvert(r);

CLOUDS_OUTPUT_LIMITER(output[i].l);
    CLOUDS_OUTPUT_LIMITER(output[i].r);
  }

It is a trivial modification to add those two parameters to "editing" mode. The inconsistent order in config vs. scrolling through parameters, is probably just a result of the random order in which they were added. Same easy fix too.

Thank you for the feedback!  :)

PS: perhaps needless to say but until adding patches is handled in firmware, you can copy-paste the output from console to config file. It's still better to do it this way as user content is stored as binary data, and could possibly be overwritten or lost. It would be nice if the unit could modify it's config file, but that might lead to other problems.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:07:02 PM by mario »

jluc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:21:09 PM »
Thank you for your answer

I am sorry not to be more competent to do it myself, even if I practiced a few years ago programming in assembler on pic microchip. Today all that is very far and I do not feel the competence nor the energy to develop gecho. I much prefer to use it! :)

So a big thank you to the developer community who is participating in this project!

Saving the console settings to the config file is actually the solution I am using. It is sufficient if another more ergonomic solution creates other problems
thanks again

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 04:50:01 PM »
PIC are great, I've started with them as well, assembler was enough when the memory was tiny, but thankfully c exists too :)

Ah there is no community, I've heard from one-two enthusiastic people but there was no contribution to the code base yet. Hopefully it will change as the amount of users grows.

But big thanks indeed to all who release their projects as open source, so bits and pieces can be used elsewhere.

Romanwave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 06:32:03 PM »
It would be amazing, if it will be possible to play frozen sound with saved chord progressions (not with external midi device), I like when you can stay as portable and have all features. And Also my suggestion after experimenting with this channel 34 is controlling frozen sound with other sensor, like pitching it on musical mode steps or chord voices, or other effects, that could change the dynamic of the frozen sound. It's amazing patch and it has so much potential to be even more amazing :)

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »
Ah you mean kind of what Granular (#31) can do with stored chord progression? It should work, only that Clouds (#34) is monophonic so it would only take the first of the 3 notes, or arpeggiate through the chord (that would be cool! 8) )

Then it makes sense to unify it with Dekrispator, which currently uses it's own sequencer. Those 2 engines were created by other developers and released as open source, I merely ported them over and enabled the very basic modes of operation and preset parameters that I considered interesting and useful in the context of Gecho. Of course this is still quite half baked as there are many things that could be done - most important is to bind parameters to sensors. Maybe also have an option to pick different four parameters from the total available, to mangle the sound in various ways but with simplified controls.

Completely agreed - Clouds is one of the most interesting sound engines, I need to get back to it.