Author Topic: Re: How to update the firmware - have Windows, the app and a USB...  (Read 301 times)

gerdschwaderer

• View Profile
I thought I can click in the right bottom corner of the app, and it sais "update board firmware". Well, the Lizard is switched on, RST light blinks, and I only get the message "check for firmware update failed". Any ideas? :'(
I have the app v0.61.b, windows and ... no clue, a kickstarter gecko
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:05:57 PM by gerdschwaderer »

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How to update the firmware - have Windows, the app and a USB...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:25 PM »
Hi Gerd, this message means the Gecho is connected and it's current firmware version is known, but the app cannot reach the server to check if there is a newer version available.

Could it be a firewall or such? What is your system? Also an intermittent server failure might be the cause, although very unlikely - if you tried more times and it still fails, that would rule it out.

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I need to add more explicit error messages covering the internet connection problems.

teddy

• View Profile
Re: Re: How to update the firmware - have Windows, the app and a USB...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
gerdschwaderer--

Try right-clicking the Gecho app icon and opening it with Administrator privileges. That made the difference for me after having the same problem; I was then able to update my firmware to 0.224.

FYI, I am running Win10 x64 and had just plugged the the Gecho in for the first time. I restarted to complete the installation of the CH340 USB Serial Device Drivers as Windows was giving me error messages at first. The driver error message was resolved on reboot, but I still couldn't get the Gecho app to communicate with the Gecho as far as firmware version check is concerned. For me, running the Gecho app as admin solved this issue.

Hope this helps for you as well!

-Teddy

I thought I can click in the right bottom corner of the app, and it sais "update board firmware". Well, the Lizard is switched on, RST light blinks, and I only get the message "check for firmware update failed". Any ideas? :'(
I have the app v0.61.b, windows and ... no clue, a kickstarter gecko

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to update the firmware - have Windows, the app and a USB...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
Thanks Teddy, great hint with the Administrator privileges! It doesn't seem to be required in Win7 and as I rarely use Win10, forgot about this possibility completely.