Author Topic: Is it possible to build & deploy new firmware from the app?  (Read 394 times)

molen

• View Profile
Is it possible to build & deploy new firmware from the app?
« on: August 25, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
Heya!

I'd love to use my gecho as a place to play with dsp ideas, but I don't fancy soldering pin headers on the back to flash it (because then it won't fit in the box...)

But given that it's possible to deploy new firmware over USB with the app, I was wondering whether there's a way to do that with custom firmware?

Thanks!
--alex

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to build & deploy new firmware from the app?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:29:47 PM »
Hi Alex, great question - happy to hear you want to get on with coding! Yes it is possible. I just wrote a basic tutorial to explain how is it done.

This is good enough if you need to flash new firmware once in a while, but it is a lot slower than SWD, also if you want to work on the code intensively, it is very handy to have debugging features available (stepping, tracing, breakpoints, watches...) and this does not work over USB.

Instead of pin headers you could solder 4 wires, let them through a hole to the other side and have the connector in battery compartment, e.g. like in my dev unit here.

Hope some of these options works for you, let me know if you need any advice or help :)

molen

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to build & deploy new firmware from the app?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
Thanks Mario - those are great suggestions :)