Author Topic: granular sampler  (Read 1521 times)

jluc

• View Profile
granular sampler
« on: November 13, 2019, 07:10:38 AM »
hi

i received the little box only 10 days after my order. What a surprise ! The few channels available are already amazing.. I dreamed of it !

When I used granular channel, I leave the record on (S2 on = loop recording), it's interesting for live improvisation.
It could be  interesting to allow longer recording time (maybe 5 to 10  second on sd card if not enough memory ?) and moving the player pointer  with IR sensor (or random value), and modify the grain size with another sensor (or random value). A possibility of reverse playing could be nice too.

best regards and congratulations for your great work

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: granular sampler
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »
Hi Jean-Luc, glad you are happy with it - thank you for your kind words! :) You've been lucky as we sometimes have more units built beforehand, in order to minimize errors we build a few of a certain model / colour / powering scheme...

I've just finished two new channels with longer looping, not using SD card yet but as they can lower the sampling rate there is enough space for many seconds. And it is interesting to change sampling rate while something is in the loop. One of them can reverse and warp (one octave up & down), another can apply low-pass, high-pass and flanger effect, all controlled by sensors. This will be available as an update shortly (after we're done with shipping of the remaining units, 2-3 weeks).

A channel that uses temp space on SD card is in progress as well. Making the grain pointer/size random is a very interesting idea.

Thank you for your suggestions!

jluc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »
Hello
 I took some time to use channel 31 (granular sampler) with a midi sequencer. many things possible with a korg sq1! Gecho is endless in an exploratory and experimental perspective, it makes me happy! Midi adds a lot. Have a good day !
 jluc

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 09:41:54 PM »
Hi Jean-Luc, thanks again for the feedback, very happy to hear it works well and you are enjoying it!  8) (I don't have SQ1 so it's good to know there are no compatibility problems). I just got hold of a MIDI controller that has 16 knobs so will try to implement controls for more parameters, for example in Clouds channel it will make easy to access them all.

jluc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 08:04:06 AM »
Hello Mario
I use channel 31  a lot and have tried to use it by locking the IR (Hold Set + B4) at their current value. I realize in fact that this manipulation blocks the infrared sensors and allows the buttons B1 to B4 to replace them in steps. This is rather interesting from my point of view but the B2 button causes a bug in the machine ... and it is a shame because it would have allowed the recording to be left open all the time without having to put a small piece of tape on the sensor, as I did before.
Is the problem known  ?
thank you again, i still haven't finished exploring this gecko !

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »
Hi Jean-Luc, no I was not aware of this problem, thanks for reporting it!

Indeed there is a bug and I was able to repeat it, in my case it restarts and sometimes indicates an error by blinking the whole row of red LEDs. This looks like pressing of B2 may be misinterpreted for "load custom chord progression" (e.g. what you can put in via channel 111) while there is none. When I had a chord progression defined, the B2 could be used to leave recording open. This should be easy to fix.

Pressing the B2 to "lock" recording again ruined the clean sample as the sound of the button was heard. Sensor would work better here. I wonder if it makes more sense to make it work in the same way as in #34 Clouds, where recording of new sound is enabled / disabled by triggering the S3 sensor repeatedly (and in Clouds that should be changed to S2 for more consistency).

jluc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 02:38:22 PM »
Hi mario and thanks for your answer
I wonder if it makes more sense to make it work in the same way as in #34 Clouds
you're right but lock the others 3 sensors in that case is very interresting.
By the way, when i lock these, i hear a chord progression in this channel and it isn't uninterresting...
regards
jluc