Author Topic: Firmware v050b Just realized that this was available.  (Read 2664 times)

insektgod

• View Profile
Firmware v050b Just realized that this was available.
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:06:54 PM »
I was having an issue with the Gecho locking up in the 222 (auto generated Chords and Melodies) & 314 (Chords and Melodies from Pi)... the new firmware fixed it right up!  :)

Then I noticed there was some static like noise and digital bleed signal in the delay line, that was not there previously... I was also wondering why the Red bars of LEDs were all lighting up when changing programs and turning the Gecho on... did some further troubleshooting with USB power and found the noise issue went away along with the lit up bar of Red LEDs...

Oh I get it! when the Batteries are LOW you get a warning the Red LEDs will light up on power up and when switching programs. That info wasn't in the manual... but it's very good to know.

Super happy with the new firmware...

In case you haven't updated yet... download the Gecho App (http://gechologic.com/gechologists/download/gecho_app_v050b.zip)... and connect your Gecho to the Windows PC via USB... look in the lower right corner and there's a place that you can click to have the app check for the latest firmware... if you click this and then follow the on screen prompts you'll end up with the most recent firmware.

I wasn't aware even that an update was available... It certainly pays off to plug everything in and check out ALL the software for the device. All my Gecho Lock Up issues are solved.

Back to the Gecho Manual...

It says that Program 341 is "Direct Monitor of the Unaltered Signal from the Microphones"...
And that Program 342 is "Direct Monitor of the Microphones with Echo"...
But since the Firmware update saves the parameters of the Echo State (among other things) the Echo is actually engaged on both Program Channels 341 and 342.
Prob'ly the same thing is happening on Channels 343 and 344 but I didn't test that yet.
Kind of silly but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 02:18:47 AM by insektgod »

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware v050b Just realized that this was available.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:58:11 AM »
Hi Insektgod, thank you for early testing - your feedback is great! :)

Yes the update was not announced yet, I didn't want to notify everyone too early as quite often adding a new functionality breaks some of the old... as it happened now.

Coincidentally I just discovered and fixed that mess up in 341-344 (echo settings and noise) this morning before reading your post :) (assuming that in your case it only affected those 341 and 343 channels and not some others). The reason was that the setting was loaded from persistent memory although it should not have been for this channel, and in such case the echo buffer was not always cleaned up in the beginning.

There was another bug with 222 and 314 (or rather, previous "fix" was merely a workaround). When generating progression, it sometimes lost one or two chords and after running out of them, ended up with all filters set at one note towards the end. That's fixed now too (firmware is not released yet, will be there in a day or two).

Good point about battery indicator - should add it to the manual too. Thought about an option to disable this altogether, in case it gets too much in the way when someone is using bare board without any batteries but then there is no memory to store this setting to :) It is good idea to have at least CR2032 cell installed in such case to get most of the new firmware (some options for the powering of backup SRAM are mentioned in the last paragraph of this guide).

insektgod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »
Pretty sure the digital artifacts in the delay line was due to low batteries... it was gone once the batteries were replaced.

Now I'll be checking for updates more frequently. Just realized I prob'ly shouldn't be putting direct links to the firmware updates as they'll be in flux for a bit.

New firmware is always  appreciated.

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:16:56 AM »
That's very interesting. Maybe the SRAM memory (which is continuously powered by two of the batteries) got corrupted, which resulted in some weird setting for echo buffer. After you replaced batteries it cleared to defaults. Unless you first tried to run #43214321 to no improvement... then it was something else.

Yes the new version is imminent, expect some neat features soon :)

And don't worry about links, if that becomes a problem, I can always set redirects to latest version. Also, one more thing to do is to let the app self-update itself, to save everyone the hassle.