STM32F4 Development ("Classic" Gecho v1) > Software (PC and Mobile Apps)

V2 PC Connectivity

(1/2) > >>

uniquesounds:
Am I correct in thinking that the only way to either modify the settings for the Gecho V2 (ie config.txt file) or for updating its firmware (via my own custom code) is through the SD card and that the USB connection does not yet work?

mario:
Updating the Flash memory where config, firmware and background samples are stored can be done over the USB too, and is perhaps a lot handier. It requires a python script, which is part of the official IDE - you can find more info here.

Depending on what edition of v2 you have, you may or may not need to install drivers. Units with serial number below 1000 use FTDI chip and no drivers are needed, units above 1000 use CH340G and may need drivers (e.g. in Windows), here the same applies as for the v1 Gecho (but the app is not compatible).

If you need any help or advice I'm here 8)

uniquesounds:
Thanks Mario - apologies for the slow reply to your reply - I do not have a lot of time these days unfortunately but I definitely want get to program the Gecho, small slow steps and at first they may be quite slow ;)

I used to be a proper programmer  (started in micro controllers OMG 30 years ago then into stuff like C and Delphi (lovely language) but gradually went down the corporate line.... not exactly sure what I want to do with this thing but first I think will be to work on the  UI - things like the key combinations of RST-B1 and so on driving me nuts (since RST turns the program off if you don't get the exact timing), starting programs with line input mode too.

Anyhow I will continue to get the tool chain up and going so I can start to program it via USB.

I am right that if I totally brick it it is restorable just using the service menu B3 ?

uniquesounds:
environment is windows pc - trying to run the target 'flash'  (gecho not connected but would expect compile first then some kind of timeout)
getting the following issues (after quite some setting up of environment variables, installing gnu make , cygwin and so on :)  plus some mods the the subprocess.py to make shell=True

any ideas?

23:03:25 **** Build of configuration Default for project whale-v150 ****
python C:/bin/esp-idf-v4.0.3/tools/windows/eclipse_make.py flash
/bin/esp-idf-v4.0.3/make/project_config.mk:125: *** multiple target patterns.  Stop.
Running make in 'C:/project/gecho/git/Glo_v1'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\bin\esp-idf-v4.0.3\tools\windows\eclipse_make.py", line 43, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:\bin\esp-idf-v4.0.3\tools\windows\eclipse_make.py", line 37, in main
    line = re.sub(UNIX_PATH_RE, lambda m: check_path(m.group(0)), line)
  File "C:\Users\steve\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\re.py", line 210, in sub
    return _compile(pattern, flags).sub(repl, string, count)
TypeError: cannot use a string pattern on a bytes-like object
"python C:/bin/esp-idf-v4.0.3/tools/windows/eclipse_make.py flash" terminated with exit code 1. Build might be incomplete.

mario:
That's cool :) Yes I remember Delphi, or earlier Pascal in DOS which was the first language we used at school.

--- Quote ---things like the key combinations of RST-B1 and so on driving me nuts (since RST turns the program off if you don't get the exact timing)
--- End quote ---

Yes that's an unfortunate combination, I've put it only for presumably less important / less often required settings, which one in particular do you use more often? It could be changed everywhere to more handy way where SET invokes a sub-menu, just like it's in the Dekrispator.

--- Quote ---starting programs with line input mode too
--- End quote ---

At some point this setting was remembered in Flash, but I've been receiving a mail a day about "my microphones do not work anymore". :D But makes sense to allow it again, maybe add an option somewhere in config file if it should be remembered - the same with all input levels, for example when using Gecho + T-ape it's quite annoying to have to set them every time as the signal from T-ape is too strong.

--- Quote ---I am right that if I totally brick it it is restorable just using the service menu B3 ?
--- End quote ---

There is only one binary handling everything so if it is missing or corrupted then it can't restore its own backup or flash an update from SD, you'd need to use USB to restore it.

--- Quote ---trying to run the target 'flash'  (gecho not connected but would expect compile first then some kind of timeout)
--- End quote ---

That's correct expectation, but it looks your IDE does not issue the build command, just tries to flash the result? make flash is the last step, for the compile / build to happen you first need to run something like this:

--- Code: ---python C:/bin/esp-idf-v4.0.3/tools/windows/eclipse_make.py -j6 all
--- End code ---

If you press Ctrl+B it should rebuilt all that's necessary, I don't use IDE to flash it as it will flash bootloader + partitions + code every time, and possibly at the wrong address, so instead I just do this in a separate MinGW window:

--- Code: ---python C:/path/to/esptool/esptool.py --chip esp32 --port COM2 --baud 1500000 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash -u --flash_mode dio --flash_freq 40m --flash_size detect 0x30000 C:/path/to/workspace/whale-v150/build/app-template.bin
--- End code ---

Of course you could also modify the settings in IDE to match these parameters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version