Author Topic: Doesn't seem to be responding to pressing "Set"  (Read 1615 times)

GregePorter

• View Profile
Doesn't seem to be responding to pressing "Set"
« on: May 20, 2024, 08:57:54 PM »
Howdy!

Would someone please be able to help me diagnose a problem I'm seeing with my V1 Gecho? I think I may have shorted something but I'm not sure.

If I turn it on,
the PWR led glow a steady blue
the RDY led blinks on and off

If I press any of the buttons, like 1, then Set,
the RDY led holds steady
the 1 led (that turned one when I pressed that first button) holds steady.

No music plays and pressing any of the four buttons, nothing happens.

If I press PWR, it'll go back to the blinking RDY.

If I hold PWR, I see two leds - I took a picture and attached it.

When I try to update the firmware, it seems like the app can't see it or detect any firmware.

Thanks!

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't seem to be responding to pressing "Set"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 10:46:00 PM »
Hi Greg,

This LED activity looks normal to me, it looks like the firmware halts when starting to play, there may be various reasons for it.

Have you tried to enter some other command? try 4321-SET for example, this will also clear all settings.
(this command did not exist in the very first firmware version, and later it was 43214321-SET so please try that one as well).

You can also try 1234-SET which is a test for all LEDs and buttons.

And then 341-SET which is a microphone pass-through, if the LED test worked but this one halts then the problem is probably in the sound chip.

What you refer to as PWR is the RST button next to the PWR LED (the little text above it is hard to see).

We can diagnose the update problem too, but first, just to confirm - the app does not detect Gecho while the RDY LED is blinking? It might be a problem with drivers. Is the unit showing up in the control panel as a virtual COM port? (in case you use Windows).

Don't worry if it's a HW problem, we can fix it :)

Cheers,
Mario

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 02:13:48 AM »
Thank you very much for the quick reply, Mario!

I see what you mean about the button being the SET and the LED is PWR.

4321-SET, 43214321-SET, 1234-SET, and 341-SET all result in the same behavior; the RDY LED holds steady on and nothing else happens.

Let me open up my Windows machine and turn on the app. I'll post here as soon as I can.

In the meantime though, for what it's worth, the Gecho was viewable by Windows prior to all this starting. My 3 year old was looking at it and we may have been pressing the buttons a little too much as we turned off and on the Gecho...

We also had it near a speaker to listen to the feedback which was neat but could also see that causing some problem.

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 05:51:36 PM »
Unless nothing fell off, it should be fine :)

It might be a firmware problem / corrupt settings, once you can connect it to the PC and see that the COM port is there, we can diagnose this further. Apart from the Gecho app there is a official Flash tool from STMicroelectronics that should allow us to erase all memory and flash the original firmware again.

If this is a hardware problem, it might be a cold junction that gave up over time with vibrations or temperature changes. Or maybe faulty sound chip (possibly damaged by ESD). I still have spares (and will fix anything for free), but it's a hassle shipping it here, so first we need be 100% sure about what's wrong.

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2024, 07:47:45 PM »
Thanks, Mario!

That's really generous and helpful.

Ok, so I removed and then redownloaded the windows app. This time, it was able to detect the gecho and show that it was at the highest firmware setting.

Now, please forgive my ignorance, but when I select one of the four buttons in the app and click on SET, that will send the combination to the Gecho which should play it, right?

Currently, it'll send the combo and freeze (in the same way as when I put it in manually). But, given that it sends the combo to the gecho, it sounds like that confirms the COM port, right?

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 08:02:55 PM »
Yes that is correct! Good to know that it's possible to access the chip & memory.

If I remember correctly, it won't allow you to re-flash the same version, I can modify the app later if the needs be.
Would you please try this first: https://gechologic.com/how-to-use-stm32-flash-loader
(the download link is in the beginning and then the guide for the GUI version in the 2nd half of that article)

If this tool works, you will be able to erase all flash (then the Gecho app will allow to update the firmware again).

And if you have time to experiment, please try to use the "Upload from device" option first (as on this picture) to create a backup of the current state. It would be interesting for me to see this file to diagnose the problem, in case that the issue happened because of corrupt firmware or settings.

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 08:08:52 PM »
PS: if the ST website does not allow you to download it without creating an account, you can find it here as well  8)

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 08:35:18 PM »
Thanks for the links!

Now, I've downloaded it and Ran as Admin (and again as a non-admin).

I've tried different combinations of turning it on and plugging it into the computer, keeping it off and then turning it on when connected. Resetting it when it's connected but I keep see the attached error.

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2024, 08:36:26 PM »
Ha! Correction! I missed one combination cause I see this now :) 

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2024, 08:44:39 PM »
I'm sorry, Mario, but where do I find that firmware bin?

When I select Upload from device, it allows me to find *.s19 files. I'm not sure where to go for one of those.

Edit: Oh, wait, should I Erase everything and then use the Windows Gecho app to install the firmware? 

Edit 2: I'm doubly sorry, Mario, yes, you explained how to do it (in terms of erasing it and then using the app) I just didn't read it all. :^|

Edit 3: Ok, so I think you just make a new file with an.s19 extension. I intended to make a new file and save it as "test.s19" but I think it wound up saving as "test.s19.txt"

Edit 4: I do believe I've uploaded the backup file. Now, I'm erasing the memory now.

Edit 5: Alright, erased! Now the RDY led doesn't seem to be turning on. I'm going to restart my computer just to make sure things are fresh.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 10:27:53 PM by GregePorter »

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2024, 11:44:16 AM »
Hi Greg,

thanks for the update! Looks like it went well except for the downloaded file which only contains 8 bytes and string "test.s19" in it, weird as the screen shows downloading 1024kB... but never mind, we don't really need that.

Please flash this file: gecho-v1_rev244_loopers_and_drones.bin (it's the latest firmware with user data reset to default)
and with flash loader settings as shown in this picture (I think those are default anyway).

This should rule out all software issues.

Cheers,
Mario

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 03:05:12 PM »
The memory has been written and now I see the blinking RDY led!

I can interact with it alone and via the app the same way - I can press the buttons but when I press RDY, it freezes.

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2024, 04:34:44 PM »
Sorry to hear this, thanks for trying though! It is most likely a hardware issue. But no worries, I'm sure we'll fix it :) I've sent you an email a minute ago.

GregePorter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2024, 03:51:28 AM »
I received the Gecho in the mail and after soldering it back up, and putting in some batteries it works! (I know I coulda plugged in a USB but I was feelin' too excited)

I don't think thank you quite captures how appreciative I am, Mario; I love this synth and I am so happy I get to hear it again!

mario

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2024, 03:14:04 PM »
Hi Greg, thank you for the good news!
I'm happy to hear that the PCB arrived in good shape and that you fixed your unit.
Fingers crossed it will keep working flawlessly. Enjoy! :)